Updated: Apr 22, 2020
Ayurveda can be a dietary supplement to help prevent nutrition-related disorders and promote wellness over treatment of various diseases, has become a necessity, and such products are known as nutraceuticals. 90 % of the daily diet should be made up of nutrient rich plant foods, whose calories are accompanied by health-promoting phytochemicals, vegetables, fresh fruits, beans and legumes, raw nuts, seeds, and avocados, starchy vegetables, and whole grains. These foods or nutraceuticals construct a health-promoting, disease-preventing diet with protective substances. The rich nutrient food intake will provide maximum protection against not only infections, asthma, and allergies but also against heart disease and cancer in adulthood.
Some known examples that shows herbal health remedies:
i) Bitter Melon is bitter and cooling with a pungent vipaka. It can provoke vata, while its bitter quality can soothe pitta and kapha. It is a good food for fever,anemia, diabetes and worms.
1. During fever, take 2 tablespoons of fresh bitter melon juice 3 times a day, to bring down the temperature.
2. Cooked bitter melon, as in Bitter Melon Bhaji, is good for cleansing the liver and can help in anemia.
3. For intestinal worms and parasites, try 1 tablespoon of bitter melon juice with a pinch of trikatu, 3 times a day, ½ hour before each meal.Do this for 1 week and the worms should vanish.
4. Cooked bitter melon is laxative and can be used to relieve constipation and hemorrhoids.
5. Insulin-dependent diabetics can help to regulate the insulin dose by taking 2 tablespoons of bitter melon juice with ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder, 15 minutes before each meal.
ii) Indian Gooseberry (Amla) Benefits
Boosts Immunity Indian gooseberries are a natural immune booster as they contain a powerful cocktail of vitamins C and A, polyphenols, alkaloids, and flavonoids such as quercetin and kaempferol.
Controls Diabetes Gooseberry contains chromium, which has a therapeutic value for diabetics. It stimulates the isolated group of cells that secrete insulin, thus reducing blood sugar in diabetic patients.
Aids in Digestion Amla is very high in fiber, like most fruits. Fiber adds bulk to the stool and helps move food through the bowels and keeps bowel movements regular.
Prevents Heart Diseases
Berries –like blueberries and gooseberries–have been proven to improve heart health. Amla powder strengthens the heart muscles, so the blood circulation is more effective throughout the body.
Acts as a Diuretic
Besides being a fruit that is very high in water content, amla is also slightly diuretic in nature. This means that it increases the frequency and volume of urination.
Anti-aging AgentAmla prevents health-related hyperlipidemia by reducing the number of free radicals in the body through its antioxidant qualities.
Kindly click the below link to shop Indian Herbal Valley's 100% Natural & Export Quality Herbal Products which are made available to customers at affordable prices https://www.indianherbalvalley.com/products
Dr. S. Shrinivasan Pharma Consultant